Monday, February 23, 2009

Custom retro single speed cruiser

So normally I just post about the races that we at Will Cycle for Charity put on, but I think this bike is really worth a posting.

I was browsing through the STL craigslist bike section wishing I had tons of extra money for bikes and I came across this:


The post has more detailed pictures of the bike.

Custom retro single speed cruiser, aluminum (Page & Midland)

Well, I need money to help replace a vehicle so I'm selling my cruiser. I'm asking $185 or Best Offer.

First off, I have absolutely no idea who made this frame/fork. I bought this bike used from someone locally who said it was perhaps a custom build show bike for the SRAM Corporation (since it originally had a SRAM internal gear system). But I never found out for sure. It does have a serial number which would suggest that it is NOT a one-off bike. The frame is a medium to large size. I am 5'11" and it fits me well. The bike's wheelbase is longer than most mountain bikes or SS bikes, so keep that in mind when considering it. The distance from the bottom bracket to the rear dropouts is a couple inches longer than average and requires buying a tandem chain or 2 standard chains!

Since I bought it, I primed and painted the aluminum cantilever style frame and chromoly 1-1/8" threaded fork in DupliColor "Ford engine block blue". The paint job is decent with only a few minor scrapes. I also replaced the stem and seatpost with black Kalloy parts and installed a 26" alloy Shimano wheelset with older HG freehub body and Parallax design hubs. The old 7spd cassette was removed and replaced with a custom single speed cog and spacers. The drivetrain still uses the Hyperglide chain and one of the original cassette cogs. However, this setup could easily be upgraded to a true single speed chain/cog system for less than $50 (including chain). The rear wheel is a bolt-on and the front is a quick release. Tires are in good shape but not matching. The short riser handlebar is painted black alloy and the black v-brakes, grips and saddle are no-name/nothing special (the saddle was taken off a vintage 70's Fuji racer).

This bike is in excellent shape, is light weight and definately unique. However, it does not have all high-end name brand parts. So if you want an light weight, eye-cathing SS cruiser but don't want to shell out big bucks, this might be for you. Please call Rick at (314) deleted or (314) deleted for more details or to set a time to come see it. Leave a message if no one answers - I will do my best to return all calls and e-mails!

When responding, please include the description of the item in the message.

I sell items on a first-arrive, first-serve basis. In other words, whoever sets and keeps a viewing appointment first gets priority over other verbal or e-mailed expressions of interest.

Thanks for looking.

I know I'm rocking the bikesnobNYC style of posting, but I figure if you're going to steal, steal from the best.

Anyway, I am not really into cruiser bikes all that much, but this one is absolutely beautiful. Some bikes look really great without labels plastered all over them. I'm not against labels, most of my bikes have the brand labels intact, but sometimes I feel like they distract from the overall feel of some bikes.

I especially feel this way about single speeds. I like the simplicity of a single speed bike and I think removing the labels kind of adds to the whole minimal look. I think that's one of the big reasons I love my single speed so much.

I also like the amount of detail and description this guy put into his post. He's very honest and open about the bike. There are a lot of very unique qualities about this bike and he does very well noting all of them. I feel like this is the sing of someone who really loves their bike and it makes me kind of sad to see that its up for sale.

I hope this bike gets picked up by someone who actually cares about bikes. I hate to think of a bike like this getting locked up and left outside to get torn up by weather and hooligans.

Anyway, its a bike worth looking at and I hope it finds a good home.

No comments:

Post a Comment